Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Chew on This

We need to make plain that total depravity is not just badness, but blindness to beauty and deadness to joy; and unconditional election means that the completeness of our joy in Jesus was planned for us before we ever existed; and that limited atonement is the assurance that indestructible joy in God is infallibly secured for us by the blood of the covenant; and irresistible grace is the commitment and power of God's love to make sure we don't hold on to suicidal pleasures, and to set us free by the sovereign power of superior delights; and that the perseverance of the saints is the almighty work of God to keep us, through all affliction and suffering, for an inheritance of pleasures at God's right hand forever.

This note of sovereign, triumphant joy is a missing element in too much Reformed theology and Reformed worship. And it may be that the question we should pose ourselves is whether this is so because we have not experienced the triumph of sovereign joy in our lown lives.

I wrote that.
No, I didn't. I only wish I had a mind capable of knowing, let alone writing such things. I don't. John Piper, on the other hand, does. This little excerpt was taken from one of his books that I got Aaron for Christmas called, Taste and See - Savoring the Supremacy of God in All of Life - (140 Meditations). John Piper is usually difficult for me to read. My brain is small, and incapable of understanding most big words/phrases (like limited atonement). However, with the help of my wonderfully patient husband, I'm starting to grasp such things. This book is a good one for me, as it distributes John Piper in small, daily chunks. It gives me more time to read it slowly, try to understand his words; and every now and then actually notice, grasp, and take in such passages as what I copied above. Beautiful. Read it again. If you are like me, read it again a few times very slowly. :)

This excerpt spoke to the depths of my soul today. More on why maybe will be coming.

1 comment:

Jeff said...

deep :-)

one of my favorite quotes has always been...

"Jesus didn't come to make bad men good. He came to make dead men ALIVE!" - Ravi Zacharius