Monday, March 23, 2009

Comedy of [Car] Errors and the Solution

This past Friday was a quit the comedy of car errors in the Britton household.

I went out with Aaron's car. He stayed home with the boys and the van.

Aaron left to get Eden from Kindergarten. Van battery was dead. No neighbors home to help.

I was 25 minutes away. I had 5 minutes to rush to get Eden from school.

Eden was sitting in the school office rather grumpy at our tardiness.

Dropped Eden off at home. Realized our jumper cables were missing.

Left to get new cables.

While driving Aaron's car, back left tire blew out. NOT "had a slow leak". BLEW OUT. Smoke filled entire inside of car. I didn't know what had happened. I was pretty sure the car was about to explode with me still in it.

Upon realizing it was a tire, I quickly remembered that, yes, I am that girl that doesn't know how to change a flat.

Neighbor came home, jumped the van. Aaron had to now get Provi from school.

I waited.

Aaron, with all kids in tow, showed up 40 minutes later to change tire.

Lug nuts stripped, couldn't get tire off.

Called tow company.

40 minutes later, he came with massive tools to get tire off.

Got spare on, and car to Walmart. Oh, and purchased cables.

Seemed like a bigger deal at the time. So, what does one do at the end of the day after such events occur? Chocolate and wine, what else?!?!

I had the wine, but was missing the chocolate. It was then, that I remembered my sister had posted a 4 minute chocolate cake recipe on her blog. That did the trick! So, I thought I would share such end of the day, chocolate neccessity, saving graces with you for if you ever find yourself in such a desperate postition.....

Here's the directions:
4 tablespoons flour
4 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa
1 egg
3 tablespoons milk
3 tablespoons oil
3 tablespoons chocolate chips (optional)
Small splash of vanilla extract
1 large coffee mug

Add dry ingredients to mug, and mix well. Add the egg and mix thoroughly. Pour in the milk and oil and mix well. Add the chocolate chips (if using) and vanilla extract, and mix again.

NOTE: I found it easier to mix everything in a bowl and then pour into the mug. I mixed the first time in the mug and it didn't get all mixed up.

Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes at 1000 watts (high).
The cake will rise over the top of the mug, but don't be alarmed! Allow to cool a little, and tip out onto a plate if desired.

For those of you a little more adventurous, my girlfriend cut the milk back to 2 tablespoons and added a tablespoon (and a dash) of Bailey's Irish Cream.
****** I (Jody) decided to be adventurous. I used 1 T (and a dash) of Starbucks liquor. Yumm!!!!******

Oh, and because it is cooked in the microwave, it's a bit on the dry side. So be sure you have some ice cream laying around. :)

The result ----- yummy sweetness that did the trick!

3 comments:

Angie said...

Ohhh, I've heard about "mug-cake" before. I've heard it called different things, but "mug-cake"... really? I'll have to try it. That is, once I'm out of the Phish Food, chocolate chips, candy, cookies and other junk I seem to have stockpiled.

Oh. And maybe you guys didn't have my number or something on Friday. Hello?!

Kristina said...

What a day! I think I will definitely have to try your quick cake...I can always use a chocolate fix!

Dawn said...

Thank you thank you thank you. didn't know anyone else had late night choc cake cravings! Yum!