Sunday, April 26, 2009

Look who made it!

My tulips made it through a Colorado Spring! (Unless we are still in for it, which is always a possibility.)

They are in full bloom, moving their heads toward the sun (I never knew tulips did that until I had them in my yard), opening during the day, and going back to sleep at night. And today it's just cloudy, so they are closed up tight ... staying nice and warm. I think tulips are cool. I also think it's cool that God designed flowers to have a personality, so to speak. (I know, I'm weird.)


A closer look ...........

After all they (and me) have been through trying to survive the last month or two, a culprit of a different kind may win in the battle of killing off my tulips. I'm very annoyed, and at a loss of what to do. The tupperware trick won't work this time around. Notice the batches of tulips with just wilted leaves, no flower.....
Now notice the large patch of dirt. I've cleared similar patches 3 or 4 times, only for it to reappear within hours. I have no idea what kind of animal it is. It's sibling croaked in my garage though, or so says the strange odor we've been dealing with. If I find this thing, it may have a similar fate. Whatever it is is feasting away at the bulbs from below the ground ... thus no flower. If he continues to have his way, this may be the last year for my tulips. I hope I figure this out before he sinks his teeth into all 150 of them! Arg....


Oh, one more random tulip fact. I just read the other day that you can use tulip bulbs in place of an onion when cooking. Cool.

No comments: