Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Just in case you were wondering ....

what my garden is doing 7 weeks later....

It's growing! That's what! So far, we've actually gotten to eat spinach and lettuce from the garden. Seriously, I had no idea that lettuce would taste as different as it did being so fresh. Yum!! Can't wait to give everything else a taste straight from the ground.



If you look really close, you can see a wire backdrop on the garden for some of the veggies to vine on. This box holds the beans. Providence was so amazed that they just figure out how to climb. We only had to point them in the right direction, and the next morning ... there they were ... climbing toward the sun! (Now if only training children were as simple ....)

There is also corn, flowers, squash, soybeans and cucumber (which are starting to flower!!), and basil.


This box has the peas, which aren't doing as well as the beans. They don't want to climb, they just keep getting twisted up with each other. There's also flowers, pumpkin, 2 new boxes of sprouting lettuce, corn, strawberry, and squash.





This is the last box. It has the yummy lettuce, spinach (which is going to seed now with the heat ... does anyone know if that means it is no good to eat anymore? I can't figure that out), flowers, squash, pumpkin, carrots, and onions. When I went to space out the carrots, the kids were amazed that little tiny baby carrots were actually already forming. They were so cute, and the kids thought I was pretty cruel to kill such cute things.




This is one of the pumpkin plants. The buds are starting to form where the flowers will come in. I was jogging the other day and spotted these huge yellow flowers in someones garden that were just beautiful. I asked my friend what they were and she told me it was pumpkin. Everywhere there was a flower, is where a pumpkin would grow. WOW!!! 1) I can't wait to have those flowers beautifying my yard. And 2) I think I will charge money and open a pumpkin patch this fall. There are a lot of buds forming! Providence even said, "Mom, now we don't have to get ripped off at the pumpkin patch. We'll be able to pick them in our own back yard!". (That's my girl.)


(Aaron said I should have entitled this post .... "Just for Aaron and Jody's parents" ... because that may be the only people that were wondering. I think there are a couple more. But for the rest of you, I will now return to normal programming.)

9 comments:

Dena said...

"Just for Jody and Aaron's Parents....and Dena, who's peas are struggling too"

It looks beautiful!

Jody Britton said...

I figured ... and Dena too ... :) Now take pictures of yours and blog it! :) Ready, set ... go!

Amy said...

For the record...I was wondering how the garden was doing! I, in the most holy of ways of course, am jealous of your gardening as I have been too chicken and lazy to try it. Maybe next year.

Jeff said...

i was wondering too - way cool! i shared the blog(s) with Theresa and thought we might try it next year.

we have a topsy turvey tomato plant (as seen on tv) - but that's as close as we've come to farming.

Jody Britton said...

Amy .... okay, so, perhaps this isn't Blog PC, but I've been trying to figure out which Amy you are .... please tell me. :) And you should do it next year! I'm lazy too, and I can do it!

Jeff - Do it, do it!!! I'll add some peppers to my crop next year and I'll trade you for some tomatoes. I only want them to make salsa, so I would have wayyyyy too many if I grew my own tomoato plant.

Hannah said...

The spinach that bolts (goes to seed) may not be as tender and sweet, but is still fine to eat. You may try cutting off the flower stem and putting a shade over your lettuce and spinach to keep it from bolting. And then in a few weeks, you can plant again for a fall crop- the lettuces and spinach really like the cooler temperatures. (My chard and kale grew into January!) I have my spincah growing in the shade of my trees and just put a row cover on my lettuce this morning (I just used stepping stones that we had laying around on the corners, folded a white sheet in half and then put another stone on top of the corners, holding the sheet down. That should keep the lettuce from bolting for a while.

Another thought is to have Aaron build a top for your box(es)- about 1-2 boards high with plastic or greenhouse material on top so that you can grow greens, carrots, beets, etc during the winter. The top lets the sun in and holds in the heat, so even if it is freezing outside, your plants should be good to keep growing all winter long! (Once you get started into gardening, it's hard to stop! or maybe that's just me...)

Looks great Jody! Isn't it to exciting to grow your own food!?!

Kristina said...

I love carrots straight from the garden!

Amy said...

I'm so hurt...just kidding not at all. That's what you get for having so many friends:) Amy Nunamaker

Jody Britton said...

AMY ?!?!?!?! Yay!!!!! I was hoping it was you! And it's not so much that I have so many friends, as it is your name is Amy. :) hehe Love ya!