Friday, July 31, 2009

Praise God for King Soopers

For the creation waits with eager longing for the revealing of the sons of God. For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of him who subjected it , IN HOPE that the creation itself will be set free from its bondage to decay and obtain the freedom of the glory of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation has been groaning together in the pains of childbirth until now. ~Rom. 8:19-22~

Just recently Aaron and I were having a conversation about what it means for creation to groan. God was gracious enough to give me a glimpse into the answer.

A couple of nights ago, we had a HORRIBLE hail/rain/wind storm. In view of the damage, you would think that a tornado actually passed through our little yard. (That I know of, it didn't.) However ..... my gardens took quite the beating.

This is what I saw the next morning....

Today I finally finished cleaning up. There were many flowers that were separated from their vine, many vines snapped in half, and even more leaves completely shredded. I went out with my garden shears and this is what came of that ....



And my once full flourishing garden, now looks half naked ....


My pumpkins took the worst hit of all. So sad.

After I moped around about feeling so sad over all our hard work, only to be destroyed by the mad storm, I picked up a book that I read daily by John Piper. Here is what that days reading was....

....You labor all during the spring to plant your crops but when the grain is just ready to sprout, a flood or a drought takes it all away. The creation was subjected to futility ..... Now let's read on in Rom. 8:20 to see where this subjection to futility came from: "The creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of Him who subjected it, in hope." This means that God subjected the creation to futility. Satan and Adam could not be the ones who did this because Paul said it was done "in hope." Neither Satan nor Adam in the garden of Eden was planning for the hope of the human race. They simply sinned. But God showed his wrath against sin and subjected creation to futility , not as the last word. But IN HOPE. There would come a day when the seed of the woman would crush the serpent's head (Genesis 3:15). But the misery and futility of the world we live in is owing to God's subjecting creation to futility and is a testimony to his wrath against sin. ~Taste and See by John Piper~

So, as sad as I was to lose so much of my garden, like I said, I was grateful to have a glimpse of what these verses mean finally connect in my brain. I'm hopeful that much will return because it is so early in the season still. We shall see.

One last (huge) truth that came into my heart as I was mourning my losses was that even if nothing returns, or if it was all completely demolished (which it wasn't), it doesn't matter so much. I am blessed to live 5 minutes from 3 different stores where I can go and buy the food my family needs. And we have the money to do so. Our well being, our income, our livelihood does not depend on my little garden. As I sent up a prayer for those whose lives can be severely effected by such storm, I praised God for King Soopers.

No comments: