Wednesday, August 19, 2009

2009/2010

Work with me .... I've got 4 kids to talk about here ....

Today marked the first day of the 2009/2010 school year for us here in the good 'ol St. Vrain Valley. What that means for me? A 4th grader, a 1st grader, and a kinder grader (wait ...). I remember a Cosby Show episode of the first day of school and how thrilled Cliff and Clare were on the first day of school, going on and on about how wonderful and free they would be now that their kids were gone! That emotion is not what resonates in my soul on a day like today - the first day of school. Nope. 3 pieces of my heart up and grew up on me, without my permission. Supposably an education is a good thing, so they have to go get one. I miss them when they are gone. I like having my children around me. It's hard, but I like it. I like them.

Anyway, enough of the sappy stuff. Here was our day.....




PART 1: PROVIDENCE, the 4th Grader ~


I took this next picture as a "last chance" photo. We were running late for school. (Yes, on the first day, and no this should not surprise you. Seriously though, you'd think the world was coming to an end and everyone was trying to get to the highest mountain top or something. THAT is how much traffic there was, and THAT is why we were late. Okay, so the pictures on the deck maybe didn't help....) Anyway, my plan was for us all to walk Eden to her class, then Sam, then Provi....because, of course, I NEEDED pictures of all of them in front of their class. Provi was protesting this idea as she just wanted to see her friends. Upon hearing the bell ring as we entered the building, I yelled at her to turn around and smile. She did. I snapped. I hugged her and told her to go ahead to her class. Sniffle....


(I did sneak by her class on my way out of the building in the morning to snap a photo. She is in this picture, only I'm the only one that knows where, I think.)

Providence loved her first day back. She knew most kids in her class. She likes her teacher a lot, even though he likes the Beatles, and she doesn't. They get to disect owl poop (or something) this year, which she thinks is cool. She sits next to the daughter of the parents who recently opened an ice cream shop in Erie ..... "cool". She's a learner. She loves it. She's social. She loves it. I don't have to worry about her at all ... which probably means I should.
PART 2: EDEN, the First Grader~
Eden's class is seriously in the bowels of the building. Go figure. My flighty (no offense), directionally challenged child has the hardest classroom to get to. This could take a few days .... She said she was ready to go. I wasn't so sure. My little Ede seems so young to me still. Certainly too young for first grade. Yet, here she is.
Eden's teacher had already begun instructing the children, and had even sent a note home prior to the first day of school to make our good-bye's short and sweet. (She must not have children.) So I snapped a quick photo of Eden in her desk, and I was off with Sam to his class. Sniffle....

As for Eden's re-cap of the day. She came home EXHAUSTED !!! This full day thing is going to be difficult for her. I mean, the girl still naps about once a week! She was hard to read all afternoon. After a snack and cartoon and playing with her sister and brothers, she pretty much locked herself in her room the rest of the afternoon. All we really got out of her was that first grade was hard. She wants to go back to kindergarten because she misses Mrs. Mason (her (K) teacher, and wants to be in class with Emma .... who happens to be in Sam's class ... who is in Mrs. Mason's class. It's just not fair!) Then at bedtime ... just stick a dagger into this mommies heart. She laid there, almost in tears, telling me she didn't want to go back tomorrow. She doesn't like all day school because she misses me. And first grade is hard. Math is hard. Oh....sweet Ede....
PART 3: Sam, the Kindergartner
The last bell rang at this moment, so we were a bit panicked, but I HAD to have my photo. So, "SAM", I yell. He turns. This is our shot.
He hangs his backpack, and the Star Spangled Banner comes over the speakers. I stand there with him singing. Then The Pledge of Allegiance starts. I stay with him. He knows The Pledge of Allegiance, and that was a proud moment for me, as I think he was the only kid that did. :) He sat down at this table full of boys. The dark haired boy next to him seemed to be having a hard time with his parents leaving. His parents seemed to be having a harder time. So I kneeled down and asked the boy what his name was.
Boy - "Giddeon"
Me - "Hi Giddeon. This is Sam"
Sam - (looks at Giddeon) "Hey"
Giddeon - (quietly) "Hi"

I show Sam where his markers are, and direct him to begin coloring as the Teacher has asked.
At this moment ... I look around and see many tear filled children, and their tear filled parents standing at the door. I decide it is time to leave. I've done this .... this is the third go around. This releasing of my child to the public school system. This moment where I am no longer the one who holds most all influence in my childs life. Ugh. I turn and begin to walk out. Sam's teacher, Mrs. Mason, who happened to be Eden's teacher last year knows what a mess I can be on the first day of school. (I stayed with Eden for almost an hour on her first day of school, crying, in the corner....me, not her.) I said, "I know better, I'm gettin' out of here!". Her response was, "This is old hat to you, no big deal!" I responded with, "Yes, but it never gets any easier." "I know", she says. (She has 4 kids of her own.)
I leave. I'm sad. My baby Sam is in school. Sniffle ....

As for his day - he reported that he asked Giddeon in the bathroom (in the bathroom???) if they could be friends, and Giddeon said yes. He danced with his friend Emma at recess. And he kissed Emma .... but JUST on the forehead. Um ..... huh??? (I kissed a boy on the first day of kindergarten .... so I'm not super worried. Besides, Emma had a much purer story than Sam did of the events. Boys....) Sam told me he loves kindergarten, and wants to go back "every tomorrow". Deal!
PART 4: Malachi, home with Mom~
Malachi really likes his brother and sisters. He walked around for about an hour asking for them and looking everywhere, as if they were playing hide-'n'-seek. After a while, I invited him to join me in the kitchen. And while Aaron was texting me asking me if I was watching TV yet (since I have all this free time now with just one kid at home... hahahaha ....), I was busy with Malachi.

We made bread.....

And we got the chicken in the CrockPot for our company coming for dinner later in the evening.

At that point, it was time to go get Sam from morning Kindergarten. WOW!!! Already??? 2 1/2 hours goes fast!

All in all, it was a good first day. I'm praying for Eden ... a lot. I'm praying for all of them. As I left the school (misty eyed, I'll admit), I prayed to God that he would hold them. I begged that they would remember the lessons we've taught them. I pleaded that they would not feel alone, because He is with them. I asked that as they are exposed to the world outside, they would cling to the truths they've learned and grow in them. I thanked Him that while I cannont hold my babes .... He never lets go.

And now I'm crying.... again.....

What did Cliff and Clare know, anyway???

Oh ... after school ... aside from being exhausted, the 4 kids couldn't get enough of each other. I kept trying to invite each of them into time with me, but they wanted nothing but each other. I love that they love each other. Once the groove hits, maybe I'll get my time then.....

6 comments:

Angie said...

Ack! Eden breaks my heart. Emma would be nothing but thrilled if they were in the same class. She did tell me that she saw Eden in the hallway once and that it was "so exciting!" I hope today is a better day for her. As far as Sam goes... are we going to have to break out the old "boys have cooties" lesson for Emma?! :)

Angie said...

Oh - and thanks for the encouragement and words of wisdom both in your comment to me and in your blog. I'm thankful that we have a God who is bigger than our worries to protect and shepherd our kids. Your thoughts were beautifully expressed!

Kristina said...

I didn't cry when I dropped Olivia off, but now reading your blog, I'm thinking about crying. I do love that God can hold all our babies, even when we can't.

Jeff said...

as usual - unbelievable writing. but even more amazing is the glimpse of God that I got. thx

okay - do i lose my man card if i admit it made me tear up a little bit?

Jody Britton said...

Thanks Jeff. And don't worry, I won't tell anyone. :)

lynjoyce said...

Great post Jody. Just to let you know, John's Kindergarten class was four kids total (yeah, small school), and he was the only boy. He kissed all 3 girls under the slide during recess - he said they cornered him - yeah - OK.

I will be praying for Eden too. Poor thing!

Tell Provi 4th grade was my favorite school year ever. Learned so much...lots of cool expirements...had the GREATEST teacher - I sill remember that year the most.