Saturday, August 22, 2009

And the prize goes to ....

Recently I read this in a Daily Devotional book that I have by John Piper ....

God prizes the discipline of humility more than trouble-free days. "God has chosen the foolish things ... and ... the weak things of the world....so that no man may boast before God" (1 Cor. 1:27-29)

This little sentence has been ringing in my mind and soul ever since. There's a thousand things in my life just today that God has chosen to "prize the discipline of humility" rather than granting me a trouble-free day. (Okay, maybe not a thousand.)

I guess I should be thankful....He's not allowing me to grow calloused. He's not turning me over to my sin. Instead, He's loving me through discipline. Most of the time though, I move forward in such discipline kicking and screaming and thinking it's just not fair, and longing for that trouble free day.

Again, my mind is spinning with the many things in my life lately that this is true of. Rather than going on and on, however ..... I ask,

What about you? How is He prizing such discipline of humility in your life? Is He? Are you?

1 comment:

Kristina said...

I must need a lot of humility:) But I know God never said that following Him would be easy...I was just reading Angie's blog and reflecting on some of my closest times with God, which were when I was at my weakest.