Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Parenting With Perspective

No, I'm not about to give parenting advice to anyone AT ALL. I'm truly the last person in the world to think anyone should listen even if I were. I just had an "ah-ha" moment though that I needed to get down.

This weekend our Pastor spoke from Ephesians. Of the many great things said, there was one that has stuck with me. He commented on the "running-around-like-a-chicken-with-my-head-cut-off" way of life, or living in "survival mode". He said that living in such a way, makes it impossible to live with a future or eternal perspective ... one is too concerned about NOW to do so. That way of living has become the norm for me it seems .... perhaps most young moms I know feel it as well. It's a tragedy how many I know feeling the same way. Because it's true, we (I) can't keep an eternal perspective ... one filled with hope ... when I'm so focused on the troubles of today.

So what does that have to do with parenting? Everything. I parent my children in the same mode that I'm living. When I'm not living with hope and joy, I parent very discouraged and methodically. When I'm not living with my eyes set on things greater than me and greater than this world, and greater than today, I parent out of a selfish heart that runs the risk of growing resentful and tired. Like I said ... "ah-ha".

As a mom, it is so easy to let days of mommy-hood dictate my heart, rather than my heart dictate my mommy-hood. It's so easy to just live in survival mode as a mom. If I reach the end of a day and no one has killed each other or me, that is a good day. But what if I were able to parent with perspective and with intention? Would my "survival mode mentality" fall to the wayside? Would I find joy in parenting my children in a way that would point THEM to eternity, future grace and hope, and something bigger than them? Would it be as draining and as tiring if I would just stick the head back on this tired chicken? Could I choose to take the time to instill the Hope of Glory in my kids rather than the many other things of TODAY that seem to stand in line for my time? Probably. Yes.

I pray my "ah-ha" moment becomes a reality in my daily living, my daily parenting. I pray that I am able to pull my head out of survival mode and into perspective; out of my kingdom of one, and into an Eternal, lasting, hope filled Kingdom.

4 comments:

Amy said...

I am speechless right now. The last week God has been speaking to me in the same light especially dealing with my selfishness as a parent. Thank you so much for your wise words and encouragement! God knew I needed to hear those words right now. Love ya!
Amy Nunamaker

Jody Britton said...

Thanks for your kind words, Amy. And you don't have to sign your name anymore now that I know you read my blog. :) When I wrote that last time, I didn't know you read my blog. hehe. Anyway ... this is some journey we are on, this parenting thing, huh???? I know you are a fabulous mom !!! Love to you...

Sharilyn said...

Some good thoughts here Jody...

piecesofmoments said...

I have to say, Jody, even though I don't have kids yet, I really appreciated this post...and will keep it in my back pocket in the event God gives me children one day. I love reading your writings! So you gonna write a book, or what? :) Miss you, kiddo.
Kathy