Sunday, October 11, 2009

Book quote got me thinkin'

I've been reading a book called "Peace Like A River", by Leif Enger. It's a fictional book, or so they say.
Anyway, there was a quote in it that stood out to me. Considering this is a fictional book, it seemed odd to me to be gripped by the writers words the way the following words did for me. Just the same, here it is ...

"weeping seems to accompany repentance most times. No wonder. Could you reach deep in yourself to locate that organ containing delusions about your general size in the world - could you lay hold of this and dredge it from your chest and look it over in daylight -well, it's no wonder people would rather not. Tears seem a small enough thing."

Maybe it's just me ... but that might be one of the more powerful descriptions of "repentance" I've ever heard (or read).

No comments: