Thursday, November 12, 2009

Britton Businesses

Turns out I've got a couple of little Entrepreneurs living in my house.

Eden has been on a roll lately trying to find ways to get money. Her most recent quest is a Sticker Company. She's marketed her goods to the little first graders in her class, telling them some sad story about how she wants a trampoline because hers broke and her parents can't afford one. Well, the kids fell for it ... hook, line, and sinker! She told them she would sell them one sticker (more specifically .... Tinkerbell stickers (of which I, the broke mother, purchased long ago)) for a "penny, a nickle, a quarter or even a dollar if that is all they had". She continues to forget her stickers at home, and yet several children have handed over there spare change on her promise of, "I'll remember them tomorrow". Today she asked if I would help her remember to bring her stickers to school tomorrow. I suppose I should do that so as to avoid her being reported to the BBB or something.

For a few brief moments, I thought about telling her she couldn't do this ... it was a scam and a rip off. I will admit that I was afraid I would start to get phone calls from parents, teachers, or the School Board for goodness sake ! But then I decided that there was really nothing wrong with her ventures. She's a smart one, just trying to make a buck in this pathetic economy. Good for her to find the edge on her market .... first grade girls go nuts for all things Tinkerbell !

Next comes my eldest. Providence chose to go the old fashioned route of making a sign with pull off tabs with our (um ... MY) phone number on it and hung it to the community mailbox. So far, 3 tabs have been removed. Here's the sign .....

In case you can't read it, it states:
"Learn how to ride a bike with Providence. 3 dollars per hour ! / Bring your helmet !!!!"

Well today she had her first lesson ! (Actually her second. If you remember from a while ago, I blogged sharing that Providence taught Eden how to ride her bike. I never paid her though. I guess I owe her $3.) Our sweet neighbors either respected her efforts, or took pity on her, or saw the benefits of someone else leaning over your small child while holding on to the handle bars and trying to run without falling flat on your face. I dunno. Regardless, she made her first $3 tonight ! And what was even cuter, is that the little girl was learning how to ride a tricycle ! She's been having a hard time actually pedaling and steering, rather than going Flinstone style. Provi took her work very seriously, and Sophie (the student), very quickly went riding off into the sunset. (Okay, so not really .... but she did successfully go from driveway to driveway by the end of the lesson.)


So basically, Sam and Malachi need to pick of the pace and start sharing the load ... otherwise they may find themselves without a trampoline forever !

6 comments:

Kristina said...

That's funny!

Angie said...

Oh my word, Jody. That is FUNNY! Those girls! How can you possibly deny them a trampoline now that they're working so hard for it?

Andy said...

That. Is. Awesome.

Sharilyn said...

That is great! My kids want to make money anyway they can too...only it is a little harder in the country...check craigslist for that trampoline! WE got the biggest one with a fully enclosed net for $50 that way! Lots of folks just want it out of their yard.

Sarah said...

That is really funny!

Lynette said...

That is so great Jody. Your children are learning the great American way of capitalism. Sharilyn had great advice to look on Craigslist. We have got some great stuff off there too.