Friday, November 20, 2009

Good Read

I read an article recently in Christianity Today. It's provoked a lot of thoughts for me. I kept thinking about taking the snippets of the article that seemed especially meaningful to me, such as the following ....

In such a therapeutic, pragmatic, pull-yourself-up-by-your-bootstraps society as ours, the message of God having to do all the work in saving us comes as an offensive shot at our egos. In this culture, religion is all about being good, about the horizontal, about loving God and neighbor. All of that is the fruit of the gospel. The gospel has nothing to do with what I do. The gospel is entirely a message about what someone else has done not only for me but also for the renewal of the whole creation.

But then I realized there were too many. So .... may I suggest you take 10 minutes or so to read this article. Living a Gospel-Centered life is a challenge for all of us, I suppose. But that term "Gospel-Centered" in and of itself is not a phrase I grew up hearing or learning. So for me personally, I'm feeling a bit like a new Christian all over again as I view God and Jesus much bigger, and me much smaller as I try to wrap my head/heart around the truth of what the Gospel is....not merely a "ticket to salvation", but rather the core of my being. That's a good thing.

1 comment:

Sharilyn said...

Have you listened to any of Paul Washer's sermons? We've been enjoying them lately. I do agree about learning more truth than what we were exposed to years past.