Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Our Day In Court

Today was a very special Thanksgiving Eve for the Britton's. Today we finished our adoption journey as we went before a judge here in CO to "re-adopt" Malachi. Basically, it's just another hoop to jump through. I don't really understand at all why they have you go through this, but, whatever. As of today, Malachi's legal name is now Malachi Abel Britton (changed from Abel Aaron). He is also now legally a US citizen. We also had our last post placement visit with our social worker. What a long way we've come since having him home for a year. What a long way we've come since we started this journey 2 1/2 years ago !

The day was so fun. Court itself was really special and meaningful to me, which was unexpected. As I said, I thought it was just another hoop. However, I'll admit, I choked up a bit as the Judge asked us questions. The wording of the questions were especially meaningful to me. He asked some basic stuff (name, address, date of marriage, etc...). He asked how the adjustment has been, if the 6 of us as a family have joined together as a family, if I consider myself to be a person of moral character (haha ... I thought that was funny), if Malachi was better off in our family (I hope so). Then he proceeded with a list of about 10 questions along the lines of...
-Do you promise to care for Malachi, love Malachi, protect Malachi, "AS IF HE WERE NATURALLY BORN TO YOU". That was so beautiful to me. Of course the answers were a resounding YES !!!! I just love that the court was recognizing the need that this once orphan is now PART OF ME, part of our family !!!!

After the formality was over, to our surprise, the Judge asked the kids if they wanted to sit in his chair. They were all so scared. (Which they should be, because we told them before hand that if they acted up, the Judge was going to put them in jail. Perhaps they didn't catch our humor in that .... oops.) But with a little prodding, they agreed. Provi was the first to sit in his chair. He told her to go ahead and bang the gavel. She did. Then he told her to do so while saying, "order in the Court". She did. Next was Eden. She sat there with the gavel in hand. The Judge leaned over and whispered something in her ear. Next thing we know, Eden is banging the gavel shouting, "Off with their heads !". Cracked.Us.Up!!! Sam's turn ! Sam, being 150% boy, just couldn't stop slamming the gavel on the desk. The Judge was such a sweet, quite man who was so encouraging to us and the way we've chosen to expand our family.

After we were finished, we spent the rest of the evening celebrating! We took the kids ice skating, and then out to dinner. We have much to be thankful for every day ... but this Thanksgiving, my heart is extra full !

Enjoy the pictures ...


The Judge referred to the kids as "The Peanut Gallery". :)


Malachi's turn with the gavel ... WATCH OUT !!


Our Social Worker ... Jody. (She's got a great name!) She was such a great Social Worker !

"I promise to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, so help me God." :)

The kids played on some rocks outside the courthouse after the hearing.

On to the festivities .....

Malachi couldn't actually skate, but he kept trying to walk out on the ice.

6 comments:

Dena said...

What a sweet, sweet day! I really have no other words...(perhaps after the tears stop flowing!)

Lynette said...

What a neat way to finish this whole process. Cute pictures - I love the "off with her head!" part. How fun!

rebelwithahaas said...

What a blessing to be finished and such a sweet way to end the process. I think this has to be the part of the job that judges like best. ;-) Yay for your whole family!

Sharilyn said...

This was a very special day I'm sure! How nice to have everything all official, but nice to know that Malachi is all yours!! Nobody can take that away!! Love the skating pictures!

Carmine said...

What a wonderful day for you all. I'm glad that Malachi is now "officially" part of the family, but he's always been a part of your heart, you just didn't know it until God blessed you with him. Congrats!

Kristina said...

What a great day!