Monday, March 7, 2011

Noah and the Flood

Aaron walked into our room a couple months back and used the following sentence to awaken me.

"Jody, can you get up? I need your help moving the fridge. It flooded."

That's what you want to hear at 6:00 am. (Cough, cough ... fine. 8:00 am.) I walked out, saw the rows of warped floor boards and just started to laugh. We've had a slew of problems with the house in the last year or two, and somehow I didn't have any mad left in me. It was just funny.

Before you know it, I'm on the phone with the insurance company. I have my own special preferred client line with Allstate, so it didn't take long to get through. Sure enough, they were going to cover the damage. Only I think that when they looked up our file, it probably has written in 72 point, bold, all caps font at the top of our chart - JUST GIVE THEM THE MONEY TO DO IT THEMSELVES! SHE'S CRAZY!!! So, after answering some questions, they told us what amount we had to work with, and let us figure it all out.

As it turned out, one of the guys coming to bid out the job attends our church, so that was cool. His bid won. His name is Noah. Fitting, since it was a flood that struck! (Oh, I'm sorry, Allstate informed me that it is "water damage" NOT a "flood". But whatever.) If you ever need your floors re-done, he's your guy! He did a magnificent job!

The work took less than a week. We were actually at the house when he started the demo. What took Aaron and CO 4 days to lay, Noah shredded in under an hour. Sigh. It was fun seeing the progression throughout the week. I must admit, though, I was pretty nervous. We had espresso floors that we laid when we had natural cabinets. That was pre-fire. After the fire, we put in dark cabinets with our dark floors. I went back and forth on if we should stick with dark floors, or go with light for the contrast. I finally voted light (actually everyone on Facebook voted light), but I couldn't find one that I loved. Noah recommended a 3rd Grade Maple made by WD Flooring. He assured me it wouldn't be as shocking as a full on blond floor. This type of maple flooring has a lot of wood grain that ranges in shades anywhere between blond, browns and even some black throughout. I never saw a finished sample, but loved the photo. So we went with it! Of course, since the floors were getting ripped up, I seized the opportunity to paint without drop clothes. (I never liked the color I picked after the fire. So now seemed like a good time to make the change. Let's hope I was better at picking floor colors than I have become at picking wall colors.)

Okay, so before I show the pictures though, some have heard me talk of a decorator friend of mine who came over to help me out. I'm not one of those women that has an eye for placing this vase here, or that picture there, or using hard back books with no covers as a display. I'm also not known for the ability to use ever inch of square foot space in my home. This has been bothering me lately, as I need our house to grow so that we can fit more kids in it! Laura was so gracious in not laughing at my overstuffed furniture in my little room, or my one picture on a massive wall. Instead, she moved through my house re-arranging items and bulky furniture. We (and by "we", I mean Aaron and I, not Laura and I. She's good, but not crazy!) did purchase some new couches to provide more seating in our main area, but using about half the space. Brilliant! So some of the picture captions will address some of her work, lest you think I have a single thread of a decorating gene in my body. She and I aren't finished yet, there is more to come on the decorating front. She's going to go shopping with me! Poor thing, has no clue what she's getting herself into! (If you ever want a design eye to sweep through your home, I'll gladly pass on her info as well!)

Wanna see it????

PRE-FIRE

POST FIRE/PRE-FLOOD

POST FLOOD !!!!
New couches! There will be a rug and cedar chest there as well in 2 weeks when the floor is fully cured. Oh, the other cool thing about the floor curing ... Noah told me I can't clean the floors for two weeks. I tacked on no laundry, dusting or making beds as well. You can't be too careful with new floors, you know!
"Laura's Wall"
I never have done the cute picture grouping thing. Or at least I wouldn't have made it look cute. Laura re-did this entire wall for me. (The mirror and artwork were both in different places before her wand went flying.)

Noah added lots of detail work. This might be my favorite. Matching vents that are flush mounted with the floor. Makes cleaning so much easier! Now when I sweep, particles won't get stuck all around the vent. Nope, I can just sweep them right into the vent! Wait .... that's not what that's for? Oops.
A close up shot to show the wood grain. Perrrrtty!!!


Even Gunther got a new bed out of the deal. His claws were already scratching up my new fake leather couch. And no, I didn't purchase the warranty. They said it didn't cover against dog scratches. But it did cover against burns in case I dropped a candle on the couch. Um, that makes sense! I see how that is more likely than a dog jumping on my couch. Or maybe not likely is the point of warranties?!?!?!

And just when you think this blog post is over, you realize there are still more words. Sorry.

I want to turn serious for a minute. I have been praying for 2 miracles. If you don't know, Aaron and I are adopting another child from Ethiopia. (You can read more about that over here.) At times, we feel like the walls of our little ranch home are closing in on us. The home isn't really little, it actually has a lot of square footage. But as I've already  mentioned, I'm not good at using it. So I've prayed for either 1) The house to miraculously sell (and I say miraculously because it isn't on the market). Or 2) For God to make me content with the space we have, to give me the ability to make our space work for more little people, and to also make it feel bigger. I actually think the second of the two is a greater miracle.

I know it sounds silly, all I'm about to say: But God works in mysterious ways. Between fires and floods and good friends with a knack for decorating, He's answering #2! I cannot get over how much bigger our great room feels having lighter walls, lighter floors, different furniture, etc...... I feel like I can breath in my home again. And I can clearly see the square footage now available for more feet, more bottoms, more laughter, and more love. Not that square footage is necessary AT ALL for any of those things - but God knew it mattered to me. I love that. (Regardless of the square footage, my kids have a way of all crowding in the same 20 square feet surrounding me anyway, so I really don't know why this bothers me so much!) We would never have been able to have the money to make these changes to our home. Thank God for Allstate. We really are in good hands. (get it? ha! Allstate, God's hands, both, either .... hahaha. I crack myself up.)

7 comments:

emilyandfamily.com said...

Ohhhh my. That looks so great. I love the floors against the cabinets!!! It looks so striking :)

Jody Britton said...

thanks, emily! hopefully your little guy is well enough soon for you to come over in person! (oh, and i giggled as i blogged about decorating :) )

Carmine said...

Love the new floors! They DO make your house seem more open! And your friend Laura really knows what she's doing, she's got a great eye!

Lynette said...

Pretty floors! Do you like the real wood better than what you had before?

Jody Britton said...

Lynette - I love it a million times more!!!

Andy said...

We may blatantly steal that look/feel. Looks great.

Jody Britton said...

Would love that, Andy! :)