Thursday, July 7, 2011

The importance of teaching our children careful exegesis

Eden, my sweet 8 year old, has her side of her bedroom decorated with a mix of everything she loves. Here's a peak.

Oh yes. We've got cute kittens, some pictures she drew, the Zhu-Zhu pet calendar (you know, for her busy schedule), pictures of her siblings, her dog ... and some other dogs, and of course Justin Bieber. Well, right in the middle of the whole slew of things is a bible verse. Tonight I bent down to kiss her goodnight, and it caught my eye. So I paused to read it. I wasn't sure what to think after reading it. Has something happened? Did someone hurt her? Is she being teased? It's me ... I know it ... I'm causing her such hardship! Well here ... you look ... this is her life verse for the week. (I know it's blurry, so I typed it out in the caption underneath.)

Beloved, do not think it strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you. 1 Peter 4:12


So I asked her why she had this verse posted. She gave me a confused look and asked what was wrong with it. I started to read it out loud to her. When I got to the "fiery trial" part, she began to laugh telling me that isn't what it says, and that I was reading it wrong.

I asked her to read it to me.

"Beloved, do not think it strange concerning the FAIRY TAIL which is to try you".

And now I have begun to laugh like I haven't laughed in a long time. She was laughing right along with me, as she still believed I was the one to read it wrong. I told her that it didn't say "fairy tail", and read it again correctly. Now we're both laughing at the same thing.

After our giggles subside, she asks me why something like that would be in the Bible.... because you know.... it makes much more sense for a fairy tail to be in the bible.