Monday, September 19, 2011

Garage Sale QUEEN!!!

I.Love.Garage.Sales. I'm a sucker for those neon signs pointing me in a particular direction, even on the days I had no intention of going garage sale-ing.

Well, this weekend, that desire paid off BIG TIME. In fact, I'm gonna go ahead and crown myself as Queen of Garage Sales.

In the past, I've found amazing deals..... The $250 bike hitch for $25. An entire fall Gap wardrobe for a child for $15. A unique work desk for $5. A Crate and Barrel Vase for $2. A solid wood kitchen table for FREE. That's just a few. And while I understand they hold no glory when compared to Malachi's free sword, stuffed animal, or "That Was Easy" button (can't even tell you how annoyed I was when the lady said he was so cute he could just have that one.... yeah, thanks!!!!), I'm always pretty excited to find a hidden treasure. (Don't even get me started on Flea Markets!!!)

Well, this weekend was the top for me! I was on my way to Costco (so again, no PLAN to go to a garage sale), when out of the corner of my eye, there it was - the hot pink sign beckoning me: MOVING SALE!! I hung a quick Louie, and there I was. (That means, turned left, mom.) But this was something different - all the belongings were not proudly displayed on the front lawn. No, I was being directed INSIDE the home....WHAT?!?!?! An entire home??? Excitedly, I went in.

Unfortunately, my excitement waned as I saw the little she actually had in her home. (Or at least the little that I would be interested in.) However, as soon as I walked in the front door, I spotted a beautiful Baby Grand piano. I didn't assume it was for sale, or if it was - it was at least going to be a few thousand dollars. So I continued browsing the dollar items. As I was about to walk out the door, I turned out of curiosity and asked if the owner was selling the piano.

Me: Is the piano for sale?
Owner: Yes.
Me: How much?
Owner: I dunno, $100???
Me (after picking my jaw up off the floor): Um, does it work?
Owner: Yes. I bought it 6 years ago for $4000 dollars. I'm moving though, and just need SOMEONE to get it out of here. I bought it thinking I would learn how to play, but haven't. So it's just been sitting here, with the occasional friend or family member playing it. I've been praying for the right buyer to come along...someone who would be blessed by it.

Um .... hand raised. Yes, please!

So I quickly called Aaron and had him bike over to take a look. (Yes, bike. I had only made it 2 blocks before spotting the pretty little sign.) He came to look at it and was certainly more than impressed...enough so to part with $100, that's for sure.

So we told the owner that we would take it and handed her the money. I asked her if she was a Christian (assuming so from how she had been talking combined with K-Love playing in the background). She told me that she was, and was in fact moving away to go to Bible College. She was really worried that no one would move the piano, and that she would have to. (Um... had ANYONE else actually ASKED the price,  I'm sure it would have been long gone.) So I explained to her what a blessing it was to us, that we had (almost) 5 kids, a house full of musicians, and had been on the search for a loooong time for a decent, affordable piano. We both were blessed.

Now....to find the guys willing to move it.

Here's the thing. We don't really have room in our house for a Baby Grand....unless it can be moved to the basement....which most pianos this size could not be. The beauty of this Baby (pun intended) is that it is a digital piano - so it won't go out of tune by tipping and turning. Also the legs come off....perfect for tight corners. Amazing! Could God have orchestrated (no pun intended) this any better?

4 guys stepped forward (one who happens to be a brilliant pianist and even gave his stamp of approval on our new purchase!) and moved it into our home tonight.

Wanna see it??? It's hard to tell in the pics, but it is actually a beautiful cherry wood. Matches my house perfectly!!!



Wanna know the best part about a digital piano? There are headphone jacks! This gives the option for the player to be the only person who can hear the sound being played. This works well with 5 kids LEARNING piano, and a husband who likes to write music. :)

All kidding aside, I'm truly blessed by this little rose amongst a few thorns lately. One other random detail, but not so random to the Maker of the Universe, is that we came upon an extra $100 just the day before this find that we weren't expecting in our monthly budget. It's moments like this... they don't come often... but you know that when they do, God is wanting to cement His faithfulness and provision in your mind. I thank him for this.

And who knows - maybe I'll even finally learn how to play..... maybe.

6 comments:

David + Kim said...

Wow - that is so awesome!! Thanks for sharing : )

Jeff said...

Will work for margaritas!

Jody Britton said...

I'll remember that. ;) No...thanks again for your help! Means a lot that you stepped forward!

petiteblogger said...

Totally got choked up reading this. Love it! Praise God. :) He is so cool.

Carmine said...

That is so cool. Wish I had headphone jacks!

Angie said...

That is AWESOME!!!! I admit: I. Am. So. Jealous. But more than that, I'm excited for you! God is the coolest!!!!!!