Tuesday, April 17, 2012

A link that works, please

One of my growing frustrations on the beloved Pinterest, is when people re-pin things without actually following the link. (And yes, I will confess to doing this myself...a habit I plan to stop because of this frustration.) When I actually go to the link to find the recipe, the craft idea, or whatever it may be - I've been coming up against nasty websites, dead links, or recipes in Spanish. None of these are entirely helpful to me. So many things look great in a 1x1 square with some fantastic rave review underneath - but really people, don't believe everything you pin.

Rant over.

The entire point of this post is because there was a recipe I had pinned recently that I bought what I assumed would be the needed ingredients earlier today. I came home and went to pull up the actual recipe to make it. Only, the URL could not be found, I was told my my trusty computer. Sigh. So I figured, how hard can this be? The little description on the pin said Cottage cheese/tomato/cucumber/pepper and had a little picture. So I decided to throw together what I imagined the recipe would have told me to, had I ever gotten to it.

And I'm here to tell you how yummy it was! (Actually, is...I'm eating right now. ) So in case I led you astray by pinning the dead recipe, I'm trying to make right my wrong here.

My mother is going to be so proud of me. I hate tomatoes. Of course, I blame it on her - 1, because you blame everything on your mother...my kids will do it to me one day too. (KIDDING, MOM!) And 2, because she once made me eat a grilled tomato with brown sugar (or something) on top. It was a soggy nasty mess of an idea if you ask me. I don't mind the taste of tomatoes, but I've never been able to handle the texture. And yet I can eat cottage cheese??? I know.... I'm strange.

So, here it is .... the Cottage cheese/tomato/cucumber/pepper thingy.


1) Cut the center out of a large tomato. Make 3 slits on sides of tomato. (I have no idea what the slits are for, but it was in the picture, so I did it.)
2) Scoop out inside of tomato and dice finely. I say dice finely, because then you won't notice the texture as much. I suppose you could have large chunks if you are strange and prefer that.
3) Chop 1/2 of a cucumber.
4) Cut up 2-4 green onions. (When you have one of the little bunches of green onions, is the entire bunch considered the onion? Or is each little sprig thingy it's own onion? I have no idea. I'm talking here about 2-4 of the little sprigs..not 2-4 bunches. And yes, all my friends who think I'm this amazing cook can now laugh away at my lack of onion knowledge.)
5) Combine tomato, cucumber,  and green onion in a bowl. (I added 1/4 tsp of chopped/minced garlic because I love garlic. You could leave it out, I would imagine.)
6) Add 1/2 cup of cottage cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste.
7)Mix together and scoop back into shell of tomato.

So this is really good! The cottage cheese completely conceals the gross tomatoes. I wasn't able to fit the entire amount back into the shell, so maybe next time I may cut back on the cottage cheese? Or I might just go over and eat the rest of it out of the bowl. I haven't decided yet.

And if you are interested in the nutrition facts, using 2% cottage cheese...here ya go:

Calories: 153, Fat: 2.85 g, Cholesterol: 10 mg, Total Carbs: 12.4 g, Fiber: 1.15 g, Protein: 16.84 g

1 comment:

Carmine said...

I remember those grilled tomatoes too...and the grilled chicken disaster that earned us Skittles for dinner, a good memory that I have of Mom breaking the rules!