Sunday, May 13, 2012

Case closed.

Just a little update to let you know that the dog who bit Provi has been found. Driving home tonight, Provi thought she saw the dog in someone's yard. Honestly, I wasn't sure how to handle it. Do I call the Police and let them deal with it? Or do I confront her as neighbors, and allow Provi to get a closer look at the dog to be sure. We decided on the second option. It wasn't the best way to meet a neighbor you've never met - but it needed to be done.

As it turns out, it was a dog sitter walking the dog, and the sitter not only failed to act appropriately at the moment of the dog bite - but also in the aftermath. She never even told the owners about it. So tonight when we approached the owner, she was shocked and mortified. Provi's story matched up with everything - even down to knowing the first letter of the dogs name and the hair color of the woman walking the dog (and of course, recognizing the dog). The owner was extremely apologetic, and moved to tears immediately. She wasn't sure how to respond, and I can't say I blame her. I felt so sad for her. With her.

As I left, it dawned on me that this woman is now faced with the reality that I only feared with Gunther....her dog biting someone. I'm sad just thinking about what she is feeling right now. I guess a plus to us getting rid of G-dog under the circumstances we did, is that it made me a little more sensitive to what this woman could be feeling now. Seeing the heartbreak in her eyes, all of a sudden every ounce of anger I've had about this situation just melted. I had prayed as I walked to her house to be gracious in my words and spirit...that the Mama Bear in me would herself stay leashed. In an instant, God softened my heart, and showed me that He was taking care of all of this. I had mostly just wanted to know that the dog was current on shots and healthy. I know now that it is. So there is no need for such resentment or anger. Yes, I'm frustrated that the dog sitter didn't handle this properly. But as for the dog and it's owner, I'm just sad for them. These things happen, and it is unfortunate. I of course also want to know this dog won't hurt anyone else - but I'm leaving that in the hands of Animal Control and the dog owner. We were asked if we wanted to "issue a summons" (have the owner ticketed for owning a "vicious animal"). We said no. The dog will be placed under quarantine for 2 weeks as protocol, and that's all I really know. But I trust what should be, will be.

Providence is slowly healing, and we're keeping a close eye on the wound itself. As far as we are concerned, the "case" is closed.


No comments: