Thursday, May 10, 2012

Mean Girls, Dog Bites, Gunther and Mya

What I really wanted to title this post is: Bi***'s that Bite. But then, that wouldn't be very appropriate now, would it?

Today my third grade daughter was called fat. Not only is she so NOT fat, but in third grade this is starting??? REALLY? Third Grade? Two girls in her class have been increasingly mean to her. What makes it even harder is that these two girls have been her best friends the entire school year. It's heartbreaking having to watch my child who is way too young to deal with such things struggle through the pain and drama that is young girls. We've been singing this song a lot lately trying to laugh it off....but it isn't getting any better.

Heartbreaking for this mama. Heartbreaking for my sweet little one.



Today after school, Provi was bit by a dog. She was walking home from the bus stop, and a woman walking two dogs was coming toward her. Both dogs were on leash, and the owner was moving her dogs into the street away from Providence. One of the dogs, however, lunged forward and got to Provi. She has the scars to prove it. We took an emergency trip to the Dr., as she was saying it was hard to move her hand (tendon damage??) and the bleeding didn't stop for over an hour. Thankfully, the damage is minimal and fixable. The pain in her hand was just normal shooting pains. The bite will heal in a week or so. (They don't like to stitch dog bites, as it raises the risk of infection.) But it will leave a scar, and a new found fear in my oldest. I hurt for her. I wish it had been me and not her.

One of the hardest parts for me about the dog bite is that all the owner did was say, "Sorry", and walk away. Provi says the owner knew she had been bit. (Uh, how could you not?? The blood stained arm made it pretty apparent.) I have a bit of anger to deal with in my own heart as I want so desperately to make right this wrong for my child (and our medical bills). I'm shocked and angry that someone would be so irresponsible with their dog and my child. I'm seriously thinking about posting a sign on the mailbox warning all the neighbors of this irresponsible dog owner and her vicious dog. Would that be wrong? Aaron reminds me that we genuinely want this woman to come forward, so marking her with a scarlet letter may not be the best way to make that happen.

A random side note that I haven't blogged about yet, as it still makes me sad....

We surrendered Gunther a month in a half ago. He was showing too many quirky behaviors that we could no longer justify, but mainly - he was showing signs of aggression. It was heartbreaking to our kids, and especially to me - Gunther was my pup. (See...I'm crying again , darn it.) But we explained to the kids that as responsible dog owners, we could not keep a dog that showed such signs of being aggressive to dogs and humans alike. We told them that if he ever bit someone, it would be really bad...for us and Gunther (and obviously, the person that got bit). We told them that we value human life, friendship with our neighbors, and the safety of everyone who comes in contact with us more than we value a dog. It wasn't easy. Many tears were shed (and sometimes still are). When no one else was around, Gunther was an amazing dog for our family, but it ended there. So tonight, I found it ironic that here we had made the hard choice to give up our dog so none of our kids or anyone else's children would get hurt - and along comes someone who obviously has different beliefs than we do and my child still suffers as a result. People of Boulder (and Seattle, I hear) - stop idolizing your dogs! It can't end well. Rant over.

Provi and the lap dog, Gunther. (This was when we loved him!)


We did get a new dog the day after Gunther's return, thinking it may ease the blow some. She has. She's a entirely different temperament of a dog. She's also a puppy. She chews on everything, and as a result, has lessened our junk, I mean toy load by a lot. She digs up my yard. But she is sweet. She loves all people and all dogs. She welcomes visitors to our home. Mya has finally worked her way into our affections, and I know it was right to make the hard decision we did. (Although, I couldn't stop thinking how Gunther would have gone ape crazy on the dog that hurt my Provi. Mya would probably have tried to give it kisses. Oh well.)


What's not to love, really?
Tonight at bedtime, my husband whom I love had the family devotions set on Genesis 50:20-21 ~ "As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good, to bring it about that many people should be kept alive, as they are today. So do not fear, I will provide for you and your little ones."

On a day that this Mama bear felt her inability to shield her cubs from the hurts of this world, this was a timely message for me. On a day that my cubs faced fear, anxiety, sadness and strife - this was a timely message for them. I know God is there when the mean girls are fierce. He is there when the dogs are biting. He is there when I have to surrender an idol of my own (AKA: Gunther). He is there, and he means it all for good.

4 comments:

Andrea said...

That is one tough day to be a young girl and to be the mom! What a beautiful way to end the day with your family though. No matter what happened out in the world today, you guys brought them truth and love

Jeff said...

He is there through the teenage years too.

Jody Britton said...

Amen, Jeff!

Kristina said...

Sorry Jody.