Monday, June 11, 2012

My new favorite dinner

I can't take credit for the base of this recipe because of course, I found it HERE on Pinterest.

But OH.MY.GOODNESS. This is for sure my new menu planning staple. That's assuming I plan menus, which I don't. But the part of my garden that the dumb dog didn't destroy has all the fresh ingredients needed...well, other than the chicken. What are we talking about here? Sorry.


**Since I've already directed you to the original author, I am going to re post the recipe as I found it, but then add my changes. That's the entire reason I'm blogging about it. My changes were scrumptious....and nowhere near as healthy as the original recipe intended, thus - scrumptious.**

I present you with: Grilled Bruschetta Chicken. (Yes grilled...AKA: Minimal clean up!)


Grilled Bruschetta Chicken
Source: adapted from Kraft Foods

4 small boneless skinless chicken breast halves 
1/2 cup KRAFT Sun-Dried Tomato dressing, divided
2 tomato, finely chopped
1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil or 1 tsp. dried basil leaves

Place a large sheet of heavy-duty foil over half of grill grate; heat grill to medium heat. Meanwhile, place chicken in resealable plastic bag. Add 1/4 cup dressing and seal bag. Turn bag over several times to evenly coat chicken with dressing. Refrigerate 10 minutes (I marinate it all day if I remember in time). Remove chicken from bag; discard bag and dressing.

Grill chicken on uncovered side of grill for about 6 minutes. Meanwhile, combine remaining 1/4 dressing, tomatoes, cheese and basil.

Turn the chicken over and place cooked-side up, on foil on the grill. Top with tomato mixture. Close lid. Grill 8 minutes or until chicken is done.

*Sometimes we add a splash of balsamic vinegar to give it a bit more zip.



Alright, so the thing with this recipe is that it only has about 200 calories. Fantastic. Except see, I'm a "runner" now...so I carbo load every day. Oh wait, I did that before I was a runner. Anyway.... I turned it into, "Grilled Bruschetta Chicken SANDWICH". Magical, I know.


Here are my changes:
1) Add 2 cloves of garlic and 1/2 onion to your mixture that you top the chicken with...because really, you can't call it bruschetta without garlic and onion.

2) Definitely add the balsamic vinaigrette that the original recipe hints at (to both the marinade and the tomatoe mixture). You won't be sorry. Zip is always good.

3) Get yourself some yummy ciabatta bread. (Or if you are a COSTCO Member, there is a package of Torta rolls in the bakery section that would be an even better option. Yummy is the only word for this bread. We use it in place of all other sandwich buns when possible. Melt some butter, throw in some garlic. Baste the bread with garlic/butter mixture and broil until browned. 

Okay, so now you are closer to 350 calories .... okay fine, 450, but it is so worth it! What is brushchetta without the bread!?!?!

Seriously people, make this tomorrow. You will thank me. This sandwich is restaurant worthy. 

(And for those of you who are panicking because the original post doesn't tell you what to serve WITH this dinner - just toss a side salad and cook up some corn and call it a night. Okay, so also maybe some Blueberry Lemonade with a splash or two of Vodka. NOW you can call it a SUMMER night.)

Next, go for a run to burn those extra 250 calories. 








No comments: