Monday, March 18, 2013

Panko Fried Avacado Chicken


If you are someone who needs 100% measurements when cooking....you should be warned, I am not. Sorry. I am also not famous for blogging about my cooking ventures, and I don't know how to take cool pictures of food. So if you can't handle these things - move along. But you will be sad, because this recipe is scrumptious!

A friend of mine who also likes to make up recipes gave me the inspiration for this meal, and I just tweaked it a bit. To my surprise, I came up with what has been a family favorite for many months now. (Even for the kids...which in this house is saying something! This is the only meal that they ask for MORE of.) 

You will need: 

6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
Panko Bread crumbs (if I HAD to guess, I would say 2 cups)
Taco Seasoning (1 pkg)
Flour
2 Eggs
Avacado (1-2 depending on size)
Pepper jack Cheese (or whatever your favorite is....my younger kids like it with Colby Jack because they think pepper jack is too spicy)
Canola Oil (or whatever oil you prefer. I have used EVOO before, but it seems to burn the bread crumbs quickly)
To Prepare:

Give flour, eggs & panko crumbs each their own dish. Mix taco seasoning in with panko bread crumbs.

Lightly dust chicken (that I'm assuming you have washed) with flour.

Dip in beaten eggs
  
Coat fully with panko/taco mix.
Cover the bottom of your pan (this is my new enameled cast iron skillet that I LOVE!) with oil - just enough to cover the bottom.

Once the oil is heated, place coated chicken breasts in oil. Cook for  8-10 minutes on each side (depending on size of chicken breasts). Just watch carefully toward the end of the time on the second side, as it can burn quickly.
This next step is the most important, and maybe you don't need to be reminded. But just in case-
TURN OFF THE STOVE TOP where your frying oil is sitting!!!!
hehe

Slice avacado (I used 2 because we LOVE the avacado!) and place on cooked chicken.



Top chicken with cheese of choice. (Or if you are lactose intolerant like Aaron - don't use any cheese!) Place pan under broiler in oven until cheese is melted. (I have done this just in the skillet I fried the chicken in, but it makes it really hard to clean.)



EAT!!! I serve with a side of black beans and a big yummy salad (and tortilla chips, not shown).



 Enjoy!!!






3 comments:

David + Kim said...

Yummy! I'm going to pin this :) How do you prepare your black beans?

Jody Britton said...

ooohhh...i REALLY cheat on the black beans. my favorite that i've found is la costena black beans. (yes, from a can!) they have a LOT of sauce (that is actually edible), so I add another can of drained/rinsed beans. Take a potato masher after they have heated and mash them just a bit.

Sharilyn said...

This does sound good. I bet even healthier fried in coconut oil. I was going to delete your blog bookmark, but was suprised you started it up again.